Who is covered by OSHA's HAZWOPER training?
The Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER) applies to five distinct groups of employers and their employees. This includes any employees who are exposed or potentially exposed to hazardous substances -- including hazardous waste -- and who are engaged in one of the following operations:
1. Clean-up operations that are conducted at uncontrolled hazardous waste sites.
2. Corrective actions involving clean-up operations at sites covered by the Resource Conservation and
Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA).
3. Voluntary clean-up operations at sites recognized by federal, state, local, or other governmental body as uncontrolled hazardous waste sites.
4. Operations involving hazardous wastes that are conducted at treatment, storage, and disposal facilities.
5. Emergency response operations for releases of, or substantial threats of releases of, hazardous substances regardless of the location of the hazard.